Friday, June 26, 2009

album appreciation: michael jackson

current tune: "Thriller" by: Micheal Jackson

Now, I realize Michael Jackson's death is still quite fresh among his family, the media, the public, and his fans, but I thought that I would dedicated my supposedly "ThuIrsday's album appreciation" to him. (I also realize that it's a day late....oops!)

My parents have quite a large vinyl collection at home that is listened to and loved regularly. This is where I was fully introduced to a lot of the music I listen to and love today. Michael Jackson was one of those artists that my mom has in her vinyl collection in our den, that I soon learned to appreciate and like as well. Even though I am not an avid MJ fan (and far from it), I do indulge in "Thriller" from time to time.


Michael Jackson's "Thriller" was released in 1982 and is (and also still standing) as the best-selling album of all time, with over 100 million copies sold. This was the icing on the cake for Michael and put him as one of the predominant pop stars of the 20th century with screaming girls all over and Mtv.

(at least we share similar taste in flashy pants)

"Thriller" was ranked number 20 on Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list in 2003 and is also preserved by the Library of Congress to the National Recording Registry, as it was deemed "culturally significant." Though this may seem slightly comical, it's true.

Also! if you pay close attention to the Gorillaz "Clint Eastwood" video, they certainly pay homage to this classic music video with the dance sequence.


Here is my condolences to the Jackson family, because a death is a death no matter what living being passes on. Micheal's music will still be loved and appreciated!


Rest in peace, Micheal Jackson, you will be missed.


No comments: