Thursday, October 30, 2008

lost in the library of life

Current Tune: "5 Years Time" by: Noah and the Whale

I'm in the library of the campus, Canterbury Christ Church College. Long name, amazing results....and alliterations.

I'm trying to write a paper about William Shakespeare before realizing I want to be anywhere but where I am. Do you ever feel that way? Like you were meant to be somewhere else and the path you chose when you woke up is wrong, because it feels wrong inside you. It's silly, and simple, but sometimes I like to believe that some days just feel better than others. That when I woke up and started my day, it was right. What I am doing, where I a
m going, is all right.

Speaking of feeling....I feel home in England.
I've only been here for about a month and a half, but I've enjoyed it thus far.
I like that I have to walk everywhere or use public transportation. The stress of filling my beast of a car at the gas tanks is gone. When my car is making a funny noise for a month and no one believes me that something is wrong, until it dies in the parking lot of my ex-work (McDonald's).
The fact that everything feels healthier here. No preservatives, no artifical coloring, no unneeded bullshit. Plain and simple.

I feel healthy. I feel content. I very much England. And I hope it likes me in return.

As I walking to uni, I was walking with a couple of friends and one told me I looked very British today. I think that was very sweet, because there is quite the difference in taste, style, and confidence in an American girl and a British girl.
"Caroline, out of all the people who are on this trip and who are going home, you're the most likely to go home and say bye! I'm going to live in England!"

In lament terms. England has a piece of my heart.

Since I've been here I've been in an odd creative-cute-mode. Here is what I do:

Photo courtesy of Shanna McKay <3

This is what I do. Silly little cards and coffee warmers with cute drawings and sayings on them that both make me and my friends happy. England has been doing funny things to me in inspiration and my view on the world and life. I'm trying to take as much as I can in at a time, and in the mean time fall in love with it all.

Inspirations:
my prof (Sanders) and his lovely vegan wife, Bahar
alex "trebek" (extremely intellectual child in some of my classes)
elsie
my friends and travelin' buddies (Shanna, Gracie-lou, Nikita, Mandi)
matthew
noah and the whale

* * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Although maybe all these moments are just in my head

I’ll be thinking ‘bout them as I’m lying in bed
And all that I believe might never really come true
But in my mind I’m havin’ a pretty good time with you..."
-Noah and the Whale

No comments: